Sunday, 27 February 2011

Sometimes you just need a picture of a kitty.


the smallest, originally uploaded by christinelinnell.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) runs a volunteer programme that includes providing foster homes for animals recovering from illness or surgery. They provide all the food and supplies and help the volunteers take care of the animals until they're healthy and ready for adoption.

While I was in Paraparaumu I helped my friends take care of four sick kittens. They all looked pretty miserable when we got them - this little girl had us worried for the first few days - but by the time I moved back to Wellington they were climbing all over the place.

It was hard work but I loved taking care of them. You'd be surprised how fast you get the hang of administering eye drops to a grumpy kitten before she can get her needle-sharp claws into you, and how exciting it is when she finally starts eating on her own. And then, of course, cuddles!

If you've got the time and space to be a foster care provider I would totally recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment