Sunday, 26 June 2011

Science, Technology and Freedom of the Press

I knew there was a reason I haven't completely written off my former career in information technology. From Wired.com:

Scientific advancement never happens in a vacuum.... The broad and effective communication of science is essential for public understanding and support of the research enterprise. ... Any region hoping to be recognized for innovation needs an independent press corps that is able to seek out truth, without interference, while providing a conduit for exchange between science and the rest of society.
More broadly, the article pinpoints my gut feeling that the reporters and scientists I admire share the same intense curiosity about the world: "Good journalism, like good science, thrives on openness and a respect for truth based on evidence."

That, and they tend to be nerds. Let's just be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment