Friday, 24 June 2011

Social Media: Are You Guys Real?

The possibility of being manipulated via social media has been on my mind a lot lately.

First there was the discovery by The New York Times' Jennifer Preston that one or more people created fake Twitter identities to dig up dirt on Anthony Weiner. I hear from her own (presumably genuine) Twitter account that she's now working on a story on the subculture of "sock puppets", which I can't wait to read.

Then there was the "Gay Girl in Damascus" saga, which gave us not one but two middle-aged American men pretending to be lesbians on the Internet. (Check out the Washington Post for a really good article on what journalists should learn from this.)

Now I'm hearing that some politicians may be using social media to fight dirty against their opponents:

[C]ampaigns across the country are discovering that the anonymous and instantaneous qualities of Twitter can also create headaches when candidates come under attack.

In the San Francisco mayoral race, most of the mock feeds have at most several hundred followers and so far do not appear to be having much influence. But the growing prevalence of the anonymous accounts is raising questions about how to balance free speech and transparency in the fast-evolving world of online political communication.
It's all fascinating stuff, particularly when you throw satire and creativity into the mix (hi there, @MayorEmanuel). But I have to wonder - are there any dirty tricks going on in my little corner of the internet? As a politically active person and an aspiring journalist, do I need to be careful who I talk to? Am I social media-savvy enough to recognise a sock puppet when I see one?

It's something to think about.

P.S. I'm totally who I say I am.

P.P.S. Swear to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment